Sunday, April 27, 2014

Ice Cream in a Bag

I remember in Jr. High my Home Economics teacher had us make ice cream in a bag.  It was delicious but I could never remember the ingredients.  After doing some research I found a few variations of the recipe.

All the ones I found called for half and half, which I do not have in the house currently.  I did however have 2% milk.  So I decided to swap the half and half for milk.  No harm in experimenting.  What I got was a pleasant surprise.

You will need:
A towel
A gallon bag
A pint bag
Ice
Salt
2 Cups Milk
4 tbs of white sugar
1 tsp of Vanilla extract

Pour, sugar, vanilla, and milk into the pint bag and shake to mix the ingredients.  Fill the gallon bag with ice about half way and add 2 tbs of salt.  Put the pint bag inside the gallon bag and seal the gallon bag tight.  For 20 minutes just shake the gallon bag using the towel as a buffer between your hands and the cold.  Check periodically until the milk mixture is thick.
What I ended up with was a delicious light vanilla milk shake.  It may not be the thick & creamy ice cream I remember but it is a refreshing beverage.

No comments:

Post a Comment