Thursday, May 22, 2014

Apple / Cherry Oatmeal Crisp

Greetings fellow foodies!  I'm excited to be here sharing with you today!  My thanks to Crystal for inviting me to contribute to this blog (and for the flattery).

If you missed her last post introducing me, my name is Robert Partridge.  I obviously enjoy cooking & baking.  My food philosophy, if you will, is that I like foods that are easy to prepare.  I'm a huge fan of slow cookers and my toaster oven - I try to use them as often as possible.

I thought I'd start out by sharing a favorite desert in my house - Apple / Cherry Oatmeal Crisp - a small variation on an old favorite.  It's easy to prepare and disappears quickly!


Apple / Cherry Oatmeal Crisp

One day I wanted to bake something and took stock in my pantry ... dug out a can of pie filling, some flour, some oatmeal and set to experimenting.  The end result turned out fantastic!  Without further ado, I give you my recipe.

Ingredients:


1/2 cup sugar
2 cups old fashioned oatmeal
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
1 can (20 oz) cherry or apple pie filling
1 cup butter or margarine (softened)

Preparation:


Step 1 - Mix sugar, oats, flour, & butter in a large mixing bowl.  Spread about 2/3 of the dough across bottom of a glass or stoneware baking dish leaving some to crumble over top of the pie filling later.

Step 2 - Mix pie filling and cinnamon in another mixing bowl, then spread the filling across the dough layer in the baking dish.

Step 3 - Crumble remaining dough over top.  Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.  Remove from oven and let cool before serving.

I hope you'll enjoy this recipe as much as I do!  Stay tuned for my next post when I'll share a recipe I threw together out of items I just found in the pantry for what I call "Pseudo-Chili Mac"!

No comments:

Post a Comment